I kind of borrowed this idea from one of the brilliant blogs I’ve been reading lately. Sorry for borrowing without credit–if you are reading this blog, friend, drop me a note so that I can update with the appropriate credit given.
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
from The Sound of Music, by Rodgers and Hammerstein
Can’t you just hear Julie Andrews and the kids singing and dancing around despite the thunder storm outside? So what are “a few of my favourite things”?
1. My Nephews, of course, Caleb and Josh. And these beauties love me!
2. Chocolate (hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt!)
3. My Bible. This is the Bible my parents gave me for my baptism many years ago. I only use it for home study now. I’m afraid that it might fall apart!
4. My piano. This piano has been in my family for ages. The sound board has a mark on it suggesting that it was built in 1891, but my expert friend thinks it’s more of the 1910ish vintage. My movers destroyed it and I had to have it completely rebuilt from the ground up (the sound board is still the same). Doesn’t look so bad, eh?
5. My running shoes. I love these! The only shoes I will run in are Solomon’s. And the waterproof ones are the bomb! And I run outside summer or winter, rain or shine, snow or ice, as long as the temperature is above -25*C (-13 F).
6. Water. I’m a runner living in a very dry climate. Yes, water is my friend.
7. CS Lewis. Seriously? He’s not one of YOUR favourites? You better get reading! Mere Christianity is awesome, but the Narnia series is what most people may be familiar with. Try The Problem of Pain, The Great Divorce, and Miracles. Just suggestions…
8. My Grandma! How could I leave her out? She is amazing. She has started out with horses and buggies and no electricity and has worked her way through the advent of television, dishwashers and microwave ovens, into the era of cell phones, computers, and world travel in the blink of an eye. That requires a sort of iron will and tough-as-nails-constitution you can’t ignore.
9. Piglet. Nuf said.
10. The 17 Club–My best friend Mandie, her niece and I were all born on the 17th of various months so we started up the 17 Club. We had our first official meeting recently and had a lot of fun! Since all I have are nephews, it’s fun sometimes to hang with “the girls”.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this glimpse into some of my world. Perhaps I’ll share a few more items from Mary’s World in the future.